23 June 2011

Skippy [Nominee ~ 1931]


"You're a tell-tale tattletale hanging on a bull's tail!"

I really dislike child actors.  For the most part, they are terrible.  But when they're actually good, they make me feel like I've done nothing with my life.  These kids are working and getting awards before they hit puberty.  What was I doing at that age?*  Probably watching The Little Mermaid for the 3000th time and thinking up ways to torture my sister.

Skippy is the story of a mischievous yet warm-hearted boy, played by Jackie Cooper.  He befriends a poor boy named Sooky, who lives in nearby Shanty Town.  When Sooky's dog is picked up by a cruel dog catcher, the boys team up to save her.  Meanwhile, Shanty Town itself is in danger of being torn down by Skippy's father, the head of the city's board of health.

Cooper is the youngest actor ever nominated for Best Actor, at the tender age of nine.  I have to hand it to him: he does do a fine job in this film (as does Robert Coogan as Sooky).  While the main plot mostly focuses on childhood hijinks's, there are a few touching scenes that nearly brought me to tears.  I could chalk this up to the fact that this is essentially a "dog movie,"** but there's more to it than that.  Even though I wasn't all that interested in this movie to begin with, the kid's made me care about their plight in the end.

Another fun fact about this film: it's the only Best Picture nominee based on a comic or graphic novel.  The idea of this happening now is unlikely, even with the field being widened to 10 nominees.  For some reason comic books just don't command the respect they deserve.  Even when there are great adaptations (Road to Perdition, Persepolis), they don't get nominated for Best Picture.  Perhaps the Academy was bolder in its youth; nominating films and actors that were unique in their source material, perspectives, and age.

Honestly, I don't think Skippy is the best example of a Best Picture nominee, but it is a cute movie.  I could definitely see myself showing it to my future kids.  Of course, I will point out that Jackie Cooper was a working actor and an Academy Award nominee when he was nine.  At the very least it might motivate my kids to clean their rooms once a week, right?


*Hell, what am I doing at this age?  Writing this silly blog, that's what.
**Anyone who has ever seen Old Yeller or Marley & Me will know what I mean by a "dog movie."

1 comment:

  1. This DVD is available at these sites. Thanks

    www.dvdsentertainmentonline.com/product/skippy-dvd-jackie-cooper-1931

    www.vendio.com/stores/OldTimeMoviesandTV/item/skippy-dvd-jackie-cooper-1931-/lid=32858529

    ReplyDelete