07 March 2011

The Hollywood Revue of 1929 [Nominee ~ 1929]




For this "project" I decided on one major rule: Don't read the plot synopsis before watching the movie.  While I almost always know the general plot of today's movies before seeing them, I thought it would be fun to go into these movies blind.  Easy enough, given that I'm not constantly bombarded with trailers, commercials, and Hollywood news for 80+ year old films.  I really only need to avoid the Netflix sleeve.

Unfortunately, I've already begun to cheat.  I've started reading plot synopses of films I haven't gotten or can't get a copy of.  It's pure curiosity-- I just have to know what I'm missing.

My curiosity for The Hollywood Revue of 1929 was mostly sparked by an early search for the film.  While I have yet to locate a copy, I did find several clips on YouTube.  After watching a few I quickly deduced the plot of this movie: there is no plot.  Further reading on IMDB and Wikipedia confirmed my suspicions.  This is essentially a feature-length showcase of MGM's biggest stars.  (Perhaps the word "revue" should have tipped me off to this sooner?)

Even though this doesn't really seem like a Best Picture nominee to me right now, I will reserve judgement until I see the entire movie.  From what I have seen, it at least looks fun.  Buster Keaton doing 'The Dance of the Sea' was a neat look at a star I previously only knew by name, as was Laurel and Hardy's magic act.  And I'd also be remiss not to mention Joan Crawford's 'Got a Feeling for You.' I really enjoyed her singing and dancing routine.  Too bad I couldn't stop thinking "That's 'Mommie Dearest?'" during the entire clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment